Jessica B. Jackler
Jessica’s legal practice is focused on representing clients in issues related to labor and employment law. Her experience includes handling cases involving discrimination and harassment based on various protected classes, including race, religion, sex, pregnancy, national origin, disability and age. She also handles cases involving retaliation, wrongful termination, leave and accommodation issues. Jessica counsels and defends employers in a broad range of employment matters in Illinois and federal courts and in administrative proceedings before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission and the Illinois Department of Human Rights.
Jessica regularly works with clients on cost-effective and practical strategies to reduce the risk of employment litigation by drafting employment handbooks, policies and agreements, overseeing personnel management (hiring, discipline and termination), and general compliance with employment statutes.
Jessica has been recognized by Super Lawyers and Leading Lawyers as a leading practitioner in the practice area of employment and labor.
In her free time, Jessica enjoys spending time with her family, cooking and traveling.
DID YOU KNOW: I once spent six weeks camping throughout North America.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 2008
- B.A., Political Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2005
Seminars & Presentations:
- “Common Employer Mistakes,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, October 2020
- “Construction Industry COVID-19 Return-to-Work Issues,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, July 2020
- “Reopening Your Business Amid COVID-19,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, July 2020
- “How Architects Can Reduce Legal Risks in a COVID-19 Environment,” Association of Licensed Architects, June 2020
- “Mini Law School For HR Professionals,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Employee Handbooks and Policies in the 21st Century,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Discipline and Discharge Issues: Necessary Documentation,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Workplace Behavior and Privacy: Current Developments,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Construction Industry Liability Issues Arising Out of COVID-19,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, April 2020
- “COVID-19 – What Employers Need to Know,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, April 2020
Articles & Publications:
- “Back To Basics In The Workplace: A Refresher on Conducting Investigations,” CLM Magazine, July 2021
- “You’re Canceled! Tips for Employers to Help Falling Victim to Cancel Culture in the Current Climate,” Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Winter 2020
- “SCOTUS: Title VII Protects LGBTQ Employees,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, July 2020
- “Mandatory COVID-19 Posting Requirements,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, June 2020
- “Reopening Business: 5 Potential Employer Pitfalls,“ Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, June 2020
- “Important Updates to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, March 2020
- “COVID-19 Illinois & Indiana Stay-at-Home Orders,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, March 2020
- “DOL Final Rule on Joint Employer Status Under FLSA,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, January 2020
- “Managing an Outbreak: What can employers legally require when it comes to vaccines?,” CLM Magazine, September 2019
- “Why Are We Still Keeping Our Pregnancies a Secret At Work?,” For The Defense, May 2019
- “Reducing the Risk of Workplace Violence,” In-House Defense Quarterly, December 2018
- “Pregnancy Discrimination: Know Your Rights in the Workplace,” Chicago Lawyer Magazine, November 2018
- “Spring: The Season for Rebirth of Pregnancy-Related Policies,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, June 2018
- “Employees Are Giving Companies ‘The Finger’ over use of Biometrics,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, August 2017
News & Insights: