Jessica B. Jackler
Jessica represents clients in various labor and employment matters including investigation of claims of harassment, discrimination and retaliation, and defense of employment discrimination, wrongful termination claims, and wage-and-hour disputes brought in state and federal courts. She also regularly advises clients on issues relating to the Fair Labor Standards Act, the Family and Medical Leave Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, and various other federal and state employment laws.
Jessica regularly works with clients on cost-effective and practical strategies to reduce the risk of employment litigation by drafting employment handbooks, policies and agreements, overseeing personnel management (hiring, discipline and termination), and general compliance with employment statutes.
Jessica was selected to the 2019, 2015 and 2014 Super Lawyers Rising Stars list in Illinois and to the 2016 list in Florida. Rising Stars is an exclusive list, recognizing no more than 2.5% of lawyers in Illinois. She was also selected as an Emerging Lawyer for 2015-2016. Emerging Lawyers have been identified by their peers to be among the top lawyers age 40 or younger unless they have practiced for no more than 10 years. Less than 2% of all lawyers licensed in each state received this distinction.
In her free time, Jessica enjoys spending time with her family, trying new restaurants around Chicago, cooking and traveling.
DID YOU KNOW: I once spent six weeks camping throughout North America.
- J.D., Suffolk University Law School, Boston, Massachusetts, 2008
- B.A., Political Science, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida, 2005
Seminars & Presentations:
- “Common Employer Mistakes,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, October 2020
- “Construction Industry COVID-19 Return-to-Work Issues,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, July 2020
- “Reopening Your Business Amid COVID-19,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, July 2020
- “How Architects Can Reduce Legal Risks in a COVID-19 Environment,” Association of Licensed Architects, June 2020
- “Mini Law School For HR Professionals,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Employee Handbooks and Policies in the 21st Century,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Discipline and Discharge Issues: Necessary Documentation,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Workplace Behavior and Privacy: Current Developments,” National Business Institute, May 2020
- “Construction Industry Liability Issues Arising Out of COVID-19,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, April 2020
- “COVID-19 – What Employers Need to Know,” Downey & Lenkov Clients, April 2020
Articles & Publications:
- “Back To Basics In The Workplace: A Refresher on Conducting Investigations,” CLM Magazine, July 2021
- “You’re Canceled! Tips for Employers to Help Falling Victim to Cancel Culture in the Current Climate,” Professional Liability Defense Quarterly, Winter 2020
- “SCOTUS: Title VII Protects LGBTQ Employees,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, July 2020
- “Mandatory COVID-19 Posting Requirements,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, June 2020
- “Reopening Business: 5 Potential Employer Pitfalls,“ Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, June 2020
- “Important Updates to the Families First Coronavirus Response Act,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, March 2020
- “COVID-19 Illinois & Indiana Stay-at-Home Orders,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, March 2020
- “DOL Final Rule on Joint Employer Status Under FLSA,” Downey & Lenkov Client Alert, January 2020
- “Managing an Outbreak: What can employers legally require when it comes to vaccines?,” CLM Magazine, September 2019
- “Why Are We Still Keeping Our Pregnancies a Secret At Work?,” For The Defense, May 2019
- “Reducing the Risk of Workplace Violence,” In-House Defense Quarterly, December 2018
- “Pregnancy Discrimination: Know Your Rights in the Workplace,” Chicago Lawyer Magazine, November 2018
- “Spring: The Season for Rebirth of Pregnancy-Related Policies,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, June 2018
- “Employees Are Giving Companies ‘The Finger’ over use of Biometrics,” Illinois Manufacturers’ Association, August 2017
News & Insights: